Monday, March 10, 2014

Rainy Days and Mondays!

I try not to let them get me down.  Rainy days and Mondays that is.  It's better than snow, so I'm not complaining one little bit.

Hubby and I took Chloe out to play at the lake on Saturday.  She loved running through the snow in the field.  The lake is still completely frozen over.   Can you see the bumper floats that are used to anchor jet ski's in the summer?  Somebody forgot to remove them before the lake froze.  Do you think they'll still float when it thaws?
Even though there is no snow left at our house a mere 25 minutes away, there is plenty here in the mountains and valley's surrounding the lake.  This is looking across the lake.  Yep. Frozen solid, but not solid enough that I was brave enough to walk on it.  It's hard to believe that we'll be swimming out there in a couple of months isn't it?
This is what we found behind our trailer.  With so much moisture, rain and snow this winter, the bank of new crushed granite that the park brought in last fall has erroded.  It looks like well have work to do when we return in a few weeks.  We need to plant some shrubs or grass to hold the granite stable.
A trench big enough to lay in!
After we left the lake, we went to our favorite Thai restaurant in Deer Park.  These are the absolute best egg rolls I've ever had.  We make this drive all winter long, just for these egg rolls.
My favorite dish is their cashew chicken.  Hubby always gets teriyaki chicken.  The lady who owns this restaurant used to have a street food cart in Bangkok.  This is as close to the "real deal" as you can get.  Hubby gets 2 stars for heat but I get absolutely NO stars!
And this is what I'm doing today.  Putting a border on a baby blanket for the local hospital with Sophie cuddled underneath.  In case you're wondering, I alway wash everything before I take it to the hospital so there are no "dog germs" on the baby things.  I'm sure they sanitize them too before actually distributing them.
Yesterday, just for excitement after church, hubby & I replaced the rubber flappers on all three toilets.  Doesn't that sound exciting?  I've made the mistake of using those Clorox drop-ins in the tank and the bleach completed destroyed the rubber flappers.  I won't do that again.  I did like that bleachy smell though when the toilet was flushed.  When I smelled that it made me feel that they were being kept clean in between scrubbings.  Now...isn't that a fun subject for a blog?  Does anyone out there have a product they like to use to keep those nasty lime and hard water stains away that doesn't destroy those flappers?

Not much else happening in my part of the world.  I hope you're all having a lovely day, anticipating spring.  The rain we're getting gives me hope that spring is actually on it's way.  After all, as I said before, it's not snow!

Blessings,
Betsy

16 comments:

  1. WOW! I had forgotten your lake freezes. Rain will help melt it :) At the retreat a friend shared that she used some sort of blue chemical in their toilet and over time it seeped through something or other with the result that their toilet fell into their basement from the first floor two weeks ago! If I were you I would avoid using anything blue, too......just in case..... :) Blessings, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely pictures. :)

    Your baby blanket is looking lovely.

    Blessings always sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't believe the lake is still frozen! I sure hope it all melts soon. I too am a sucker for egg rolls, they are my favorite to eat. Even sometimes for a snack!!! I don't use anything in our tanks because like you...it did the same thing to ours so now I just scrub with bleach or soft scrub to keep it all clean.
    xx Shari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soft Scrub with bleach...I second that comment by Shari. It's good for tubs, sinks, and shower stalls too. I had to laugh at your "excitement." Sounds familiar! Nice charity blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Betsy, Those Egg Rolls look so very yummy.. You make such lovely charity blankets. I am sure they are well loved. Amazing how different your world looks than mine.. How can we hurry Spring along. LOL Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure do love your lake.. I wish we had a place like that. I look forward to seeing your photos when it warms up and you're enjoying yourself there. Gorgeous blanket.. you're such a good girl. Now I want some egg rolls! See you in a few days! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My life contains much the same sort of excitement! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy food, I can see why you love to eat there. I'm sorry there's work to do at the lake, but it will be better than ever when it's done. The blanket is lovely and such a loving, generous gesture for the babies. A long time ago, a plumber's wife told me not to use those Clorox tablets for that very reason, so while I'm not happy you had to replace yours, you've taught me a valuable lesson! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a pretty amazing sight to see a lake frozen over--it's like our pond (which did freeze over this winter) but on a MUCH bigger scale! YUM--I LOVE Thai food!
    Beautiful baby blanket--so delicate! I can't use anything in our toilets (except for weekly cleanings) because (yucky alert here)...two of our dogs drink out of it DESPITE having clean water in their bowl.
    See? Yucky, huh:)
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a chuckle about your toilet cleaning experience. I too like to use the bleach circles or the blue ones that you put into the toilet bowl because no matter how much I try to keep the bowl clean it always look the same the next day or two later. It must have something to do with the water because one bowl is always dirtier looking than the other and it is used much less often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Something magical about a lake ANY time of year. KEep that puppy safe !
    I don't have any tips on the hard water stuff.. so sorry

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad the snow is ebbing away and you can start to look forward to spring. That food looks absolutely delicious, I love Thai food. I need to eat out more often I think. You made me laugh with all that toilet chatter, I don't really know what the rubber flapper thingys are, I use the toilet stuff that you squirt in and hope for the best.
    Thank you for your comment on my post yesterday, it meant a lot to have support from others xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, while toilet flappers may not be the most popular of blog topics, I'm glad you brought it up, because I didn't know about the bleach tablets causing problems! Thanks for the info., Betsy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to see the snow is getting down. Food seems to be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Betsy
    Many thanks for all your visits to my blog I thoroughly enjoy hearing from you. Those scenes look decidedly chilly!!! I certainly do not like the look of those trenches .....wouldn't like to be walking out there at night time!!! I use Hot White vinegar but you would have to test it on the rubber flaps as I'm not sure about that . I very often use it on the dingy lime scale stains in the WC bowl and it does get rid of it...it in fact leaves it sparkling. Alicante is an area where the water is very very hard so lime scale is prolific. I use bleach too occasionally as well, like yourself the smell of bleach makes me think it is clean. Do you get Dettol disinfectant over there? I so like the smell of Dettol in the bathroom and kitchen. I associate it with cleanliness straight away.


    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, looks like you have had some very severe weather this winter.

    Sounds like you really were living it up with those toilet repairs ;)

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete